'Embrace your Geekness Day'

  July 13th is 'Embrace your Geekness' day. Who knew there was such a holiday? I thought I'd take this opportunity to explore this topic.
  A geek is defined as an individual who is highly intelligent (brainy) and technically oriented. They are most often associated with the computer, and computer systems world. A geek is usually formal, studious and into his technical world, often to the exclusion of all else. A geek is closely related to a "Nerd". A nerd however, may or may not possess technical expertise.


  I guess I wish I was more of a geek in that regard.  Twelve years ago my husband convinced me that we needed a home computer. It was a huge expense and we were on a much smaller budget then. I was 
not a believer.  I was intimidated to be sure. I saw it as a glorified typewriter (and I hated typing).  I mostly played Solitaire and sometimes checked email via the AOL dial up.  Eventually, over the years, I  reluctantly learned how to perform some tasks and the PC became a part of everyday life.  


  Email became a great communication tool when my husband was deployed. Imagine, an email from the ship within 24 hours of him sending it. No more, weeks old, hand written letters with numbers written on the outside so I knew what order to read them in. ( I still have all them~ I'm too sentimental to get rid of them)  A few years later while we were over seas, email, online banking, shopping, etc. and blogging all 'shrank the globe' and made our time on island much more convenient and easier to keep in touch across many time zones. 


  Fast forward a few years. Here we are in 2012.  I can say that I have fully embraced the computer revolution. Two years ago we upgraded again, this time to MAC.  It took awhile but now I am a complete Apple convert.
 My morning routine still involves 2 cups of coffee, but no longer involves the paper. Instead I read my email ( from 3 accounts) , check out all the news head lines on Yahoo & Drudge,  stop by my Facebook page to see what everyone is doing,  check in my Art Fire and Etsy shops, Make sure all is well with my Flickr' and my own TTE Designs website and of course I peek in and see how my TTE BLOG is doing. I get so tickled looking at all the stats, who visited and how many 'hits' my most recent post got.  


  So I guess you can say that I have  completely embraced my inner Geekness . I would still like to learn more about photo editing (love me some PIC MONKEY) & manipulating web pages to make things more professional~ but that is coming incrementally. I can say that I am a much better typist now too (I hardly look at the keyboard at all anymore) :-)
So get out there and take the plunge, jump and embrace your GEEKNESS, you won't regret it! 











Comments

Most Popular Posts