Diner's Drive Ins & Dives.... (#1)

FLIP FLOPS GRILL & CHILL 
                                                                          2217 Upton Dr. # 842 Virginia Beach, VA

I have always enjoyed watching FOOD NETWORK. I love to eat and I love to cook so it's been a staple channel on my TV for years. 12 years ago when my husband deployed I told him my "cruise buddy" was Alton Brown. Since I watched "Good Eats" every night.  When we were stationed in Guam the TV shows and channels were all mixed up so we got in the habit of just watching Food Network because time didn't matter, there was always some thing delicious on.  That is were DH came to share my newest love "Diner's Drive Ins & Dives".  I really enjoy Guy Fieri and the food they show on that program is amazing. We laugh because we are early birds & often catch the newest episode from bed and even though we are far from hungry we lay there and DROOL.
I have always wanted to try some of these places and so with our latest move to Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Chespeake VA I finally had my opportunity.

The restaurant is located in a non-descript strip mall and in true Triple D fashion is unassuming and might be passed by with out a glance.
The Decor was cheerful, beachy and bright and the service was attentive. We scanned the two page menu and made our choices. DD has some severe food allergies so we are quite cautious. Our server was good about clarifying the order. 

DH chose the BBQ Fish Tacos ($13) 3 grilled fish tacos with mango bbq, house slaw, tomato, avocado, mixed cheeses and lime crema.  
DD chose the Beach Classic Burger ($9) 1/2 pound burger grilled to order with L, T & O. Side of boiled sweet corn
DS chose the Jamaican Beer Battered Fried Maki Sandwich ($10) Beer battered & deep fried with spicy mirin slaw and thousand island dressing. Side of sweet potato fries.
I chose the Buffalo Shrimp Po Boy ($9) Battered and Buffaloed shrimp on a toasted hoagie roll, with lettuce, tomato and blue cheese dressing. Side of sweet potato fries.



 It took about 15 minutes for our food to arrive. The restaurant was full of customers so this was actually quite fast. I would have liked to take pictures of DS & DD's food but it was bitten into before I could get a shot. (They are still getting used to Mom blogging about things...)  Both complimented their chosen dishes and said they were delicious.  DH & I traded a portion of our meals (as we often do). His fish tacos were lovely. Warm and soft tortilla's filled to bursting with perfectly seasoned grilled fish and everything was very, very fresh.  I polished mine off in no time!

 Finally I launched into my Buffalo Po Boy. The roll was soft, warm and toasty, Just the right amount of blue cheese dressing, crisp lettuce and tomato. The shrimp were amazing. Lightly battered and not a hint of grease. The buffalo flavor was spot on, spicy but not scorching and there were so many that I had trouble keeping them in the roll.  The sweet potato fries were a treat too. Crunchy outside and tender middle, not a hint of greasiness there either. Even the kids who are not fans of sweet potato said they were good and ate them all.
After our delicious lunch we made the short drive over to Dam Neck Naval Base to check out the beach, with temps near 100'+ it was a short visit but one we will make again soon.
I highly recommend FLIP FLOPS VB Grill, it's worth the trip! I am already planning our next Triple D inspired adventure.

Comments

  1. LOVE THIS!!!! We must be RELATED or something....hehe :-} I watch food network/HGTV 24/7 with a bit of QVC thrown in!! Jay and I have often talked about how fun it would be to do a "Triple D" vacation and go from one restaurant to another all across the country and EAT our vacation away!!! I am glad your lunch was "money". Now when we watch DDD I will be thinking of you and PE!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts