Thrifting Thursday 10/20/2016 'Repurposed Photo Frame and DIY Show Tent Weights'
Greetings Friends & Happy Thrifting Thursday!
You may recall that I purchased these two hollow center lidded 'picture frames' from our parish charity shop a few weeks ago. I thought they might make a unique display for my jewelry with a little tweak.
|Showing the grooves where the panels fit|
|Quick shot showing it in action|
For this project I used some of my trusty burlap [which I always seem to have on hand], black duct tape, two sided foam tape and two clear push pins. I used the black frame panel as a template and cut the burlap just a bit larger. The panel had to fit back into the grooves inside the frame so I needed to keep any extra fabric bulk to a minimum. A quick minute later and the burlap was attached tautly to the frame and slid back into the base. I them measured equal distance and carefully tapped in two pushpins. Lastly, I used two pieces of two sided foam tape and secured the lid to the box. It had some small magnets but for transporting to show I wanted it secure.
Now it will make a unique focal display for a statement piece.
My other weekend project was to convince my husband to help me make some new tent weights for out door shows. I had some gigantic weights which we had to leave behind when we moved this summer. These are substantially smaller, but also A LOT easier to move. 4 small buckets, 4 eye bolts, some wire to hold it from sinking, and two bags of concrete later..... There are no pictures during construction because, well it was a mess, haha! I will use these attached to ratchet straps from the tent frame. I also have some zipper sand bags that wrap around the tent legs and 4 barbells that sit on the metal flaps that encircle the tent legs. All in all it should be about 50-60# per leg.
I am doing my first FL event in a few weeks and if I have any financial success I am planning to buy some Sta-Bars for my tent which will also make it more sturdy in windy weather.
|Not pretty, but pretty heavy!|