Friday, February 28, 2014

Patina Blog Hop hosted by Kathy Lindemer of Bay Moon Design

Hello Patina Blog Hoppers!

Welcome!


Back in January I was accepted by Kathy Lindemer to participate in her Patina Blog Hop. I received a Vintaj 26mm (.6mm thick), Arte Metal, Compass Decorivet with two posterior prongs like you see at right.        

 I knew I wanted to make a cuff style bracelet from dark repurposed belt leather, The compass its self was dark and sometimes the point of patina is to completely change the look of a piece, so that was my leaping off point.


 Since the compass rose has a travel/nautical background and I am a Navy wife, I thought it only seemed fitting to add a couple of anchors to my cuff.  These anchor charms were already silver, but it didn't match the Ranger Patina in Nouveau Silver that I planned to use for good contrast.

First coat of nouveau silver



So after two coats of silver I decided to give the piece a bit of a scuff with some fine grit sanding pads.  Rustic and crusty as you see at right, but not quite what I wanted, this is a PATINA challenge after all!

So for my next trick... I added a bit of brown acrylic paint which I painted on, let set a minute or two and then...mostly wiped off.  Just to add a bit of that ancient look I was seeking. I sealed everything with Vintaj matte sealant for metal and let it cure.

 I then measured and poked holes in the leather and hole punched the center of the compass so I could add a rivet and a dash of E6000 for a secure hold in addition to the prongs.

I punched smaller holes on either side of the focal and using a 24g silver tone wire, wired the anchors in place. Prior to added my patina pieces I cut trimmed and colored the edges of the leather, I set a snap closure in silver tone.

I have to say.... I LOVE this!  I am torn as to whether to keep this for myself or offer it up for sale.  I do think this could be uni-sex too although I didn't set out to do so.  
I have decided to name this piece 
a nautical greeting for good luck and safe travels.

So ~ a BIG  THANK YOU to Kathy our gracious hostess for this cool opportunity and to you dear reader...I appreciate you reading all the way to the bottom.

If you are already a follower of my blog I am indebted to you. 
If you aren't yet,  I would be obliged if you would consider joining me~ [a button on your left makes it easy peasy].


Hop to the bottom of the page for a list of all the participants~
Warm Regards,

Tammie








Hostess:  Kathy Lindemer,  BayMoonDesign 

Jennifer LaVite, Dry Gulch Beads and Jewelry

Karia Morgan, Texas Pepper Jams 


Carolyn Lawson, Carolyn's Creations

Shai Williams, Shaiha's Ramblings

Jessica MurrayWhimsical Monkey
  
Tammie Everly, TTE Designs   <<< You are here

Kay Thomerson, KayzKreationz Blog

Claire Fabian, Saraccino 

Christie Searle Murrow Charis Designs

13 comments:

  1. Love how you added just the right amount of grunge to it. Neat cuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great! I'd want to keep it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy-The cuff is perfect for you. I think you should keep it. It can help you advertise you are a proud Navy wife AND talented artisan. I am so glad you participated in this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really in love with what you've done.I can't seem to part with mine, either. And now I have to get the Nouveau Silver (if I can find it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it! Looks like a bracelet that I would toss on when I am wearing jeans and a boots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the patina is really sooo great! Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tammie, I love how your patina turned out on the compass and how your cuff bracelet turned out so much. The leather is great---one of your husband's old belts or one of your thrifty finds? I'm going to go look in the back of our closet and see what I come up with. Did you use a snap rivet for the closure? I love reading your posts----you are a frugal and crafty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous cuff! The patina turned out so well! I like the anchors you added. They go so well together. I'm going to get some of that Nouveau silver. Beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Tammie, I can see why you want to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay- that is seriously cool! Your patina makes it look like treasure from the sea and the anchors are the perfect touch. I'm a little late to the hop, but loving how one element ends up being transformed in so many different ways. Christie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammie, this turned out really cute. I wanted to try a snap closure to my leather, but didn't know how, so settled on the chains. Love the antique look to your compass. I finally got my pictures reloaded and my blog post/reveal up for my compass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your cuff turned out, very neat, and the patina is perfect!!! The perfect cuff for a Navy wife!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should SO keep this! It's too gorgeous! My family has a long naval history and I've grown up surrounded by the sea so I'm probably completely biased, but this is so eye-catching and unique I think it's beautiful. Hope you keep it and wear it with pride - you're so talented! hugs from Shroo:)x

    ReplyDelete